Saturday 24 January 2009

'Undisclosed Sites', West Norfolk

A phone call about a Great Grey Shrike showing, awoke me from my slumber (c9.30!) Within the hour I was on site, but another call had me changing my plans as a Dartford Warbler had been located elsewhere. I moved site and, after a wait, a stunning male Dartford Warbler was seen briefly, but extremely well, perched upon the vegetation. At least 2 pairs of Stonechat were also seen. Returning to the original site the Great Grey Shrike was seen perched up on two occasions. The second, showing really well. Also here were a small, brown Peregrine and Sparrowhawk. Nearby, a flock of 27 Crossbills were seen, with 2 other pairs noted.
Another observer is 'convinced' that a Goshawk called on a couple of occasions and although I heard it, I just can't be as sure, so I'll have to wait until I see one!

After all this excitement, I decided to head for the north coast and was close by when news of the Ross's Goose at Burnham Overy Staithe came through. Soon it was located, showing well with Pink-feet. At least two hybrid Black Brant/Dark-bellied Brent Geese were seen, one being very convincing in certain light until it turned round and showed its true colours! Another interesting site was c100, White-fronted Geese flying overhead near Gun Hill. Barn Owls were seen at Burnham Norton and Overy Staithe.


On Friday after school a quick visit to Salthouse produced a Merlin spooking Golden Plover, along with a Barn Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment