Tuesday 27 January 2009

GWE take 2

A quiet start at Sculthorpe produced the hoped for Willow Tit, around the first feeder by the portacabin and then later around the Woodland Trail, seen well and calling with at least two Marsh Tits around. The plastic Golden Pheasants showed well and the centre is still claiming that there are females around.
News of the Dipper had me heading to Natural Surroundings in the hope of getting better pics, but returning to form it was not there whilst I was. I didn't want to spend too much time as I wanted to look for the Twite at Brancaster Staithe. It seems to be the case that if you are to see them, then they must be present on arrival and this time it proved true! A flock of c 30(!) were on the mud bank to the east by the saltmarsh, then flew west. Other birds were showing well in the pleasant light.


Not soon after arriving at Titchwell news of a Great White Egret at Holkham (where I had just driven past!) had me returning, but to no avail. The distant Short-eared Owl and two Barn Owls kept me company, along with three + Marsh Harriers and a few Little Egret.

A drive through Holkham Hall grounds produced the lovely deer and the day ended along Lady Anne's Drive, where (in the fading light) at least one Black Brant and two hybrids were seen.
Monday had me vainly looking for a Penduline Tit in Suffolk, but, more importantly, a quick scan of the gulls on Holkwold Flash (Norfolk) produced an adult Yellow-legged Gull amongst the hoards.

No comments:

Post a Comment