Monday 20 April 2009

Hoopoe Delight

Needed to go into work for the morning today, so decided to check out Salthouse Heath. A Nightingale was singing and seen briefly, along with plenty of warblers, including Lesser Whitethroat and Cetti's. From here I went to Gramborough Hill, where 2 Wheatear were present, along with small numbers of finches moving west and loads of Meadow Pipits.

Working in Sheringham has its benefits, so when I was able to leave work I popped over to Upper Sheringam, where a Hoopoe had been reported. Shortly after I arrived the bird was seen, but quickly disappeared before I got to the site! It was another hour and a half before the shout went up as it flew over some birders head. I managed to get distant views before the bird disappeared over the brow of a hill. I decided to go over to the east side of the village to see if I could relocate it and I did! One other birder was present, when we had much better views. Unfortunately, it quickly disappeared gain, although it did a flyby for the assembled crowd a little later - possibly the last sighting. Whilst there a very neat female pied Wagtail had me thinking 'White' before I was corrected! A male Siskin showed well on a garden feeder.


A quick visit on the way home produced 3 Marsh Harrier, Buzzard and the Harris's Hawk, along with my first Cuckoo, a Little Ringed Plover and up to 5 Little Egret

No comments:

Post a Comment