Wednesday 25 February 2009

Another Good Day Out West

First stop was Hoe Rough, but only Green Woodpeckers could be found, with added colour coming from 2 Kingfishers and c 20 Siskin.

Onto Kings Lynn, along the Roydon road, where I had forgotten that a Great Grey Shrike had been seen until it appeared in a roadside bush! Unfortunately it had flown a distance by the time I returned.

The Kings Lynn area held a brief Shag, flyover Green Sandpiper and Grey Wagtail and 10 Grey Heron in a field. I rarely find roosting Barn Owls, so to find to together was very satisfying, as were two Stonechat. A third Barn Owl and Marsh Harrier were also seen.

From here I set off to continue to hunt for the Rough-legged Buzzard(s) and this time I was doubly successful. Although distant the imm/fem bird was seen well enough to see the salient features. More interesting was the second, much paler bird, which was really striking - with seemingly reduced black on the underparts, possibly a male. Also here was a much friendlier ringtail Hen Harrier, Marsh and at least 10 Buzzards, including 8 in the scope together. Whilst waiting for the raptor show my attention was given to hares, pheasants and planes!

I headed back south and tried to find Stone Curlew with no success, but 22+ Tree Sparrow were seen, as well and two more Buzzards and another Barn Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment