Saturday 14 March 2009

Wrong 'Ruddy' Duck

Spent 2 1/2 hrs searching the Wolferton area looking for 'Golden' Pheasants, with just one calling bird the reward (although below are some of the birds I did see!) Continued onto Holme, via Heacham (where little was also seen). Holme was very enjoyable, with a Stonechat along the track and an excellent flock of 22+ Crossbill around the firs, where a singing Firecrest showed well. Unfortunately there was no sign of the target species of Red-crested Pochard, although a Ruddy Duck was present.
Onto Titchwell, where a fly over plover made me think of Little Ringed, but I couldn't equate the call, so I'll leave that one for later. The Water Pipit was showing exceptionally well from Island Hide, as were two Spotted Redshank amongst other close waders. The Black Brant was present and continues to make me wonder if the Wells birds were hybrids. A single Chiffchaff called and was seen by the main footpath.
A Greenshank had been seen at Brancaster Staithe, so I made my way over there, where a pair of Mediterranean Gulls was pointed out as was the Greenshank.

No comments:

Post a Comment