Friday 2 September 2011

Strumpshaw and Cantley

With the newly emerged Willow  Emeralds being reported, I took the opportunity to go and have a look at these rare Damselflies. One had been seen before I arrived and after a short wait a male was found hanging from a Willow tree! Soon another presumably more recently emerged male was seen (being a bronzer colour than the metallic green of the mature male) The lack of any blue on the body was noted, as was the brown (not black) pterostigma - as pointed out by Baz, who was very educational! The 'spur' on the thorax was difficult to note, but was seen on occasions. At least 8 were eventually seen, including to pairs already in tandem.

From here I took the opportunity to visit Cantley, where an excellent variety of waders had been reported over the last few days. It was very enjoyable wandering around, initially with the place to myself and then with some friendly fellow bloggers! I tried to convince myself that I had seen the Pectoral Sandpiper, but was rightly put on the right track! However, at least 7 Curlew Sandpiper and 7 Little Stint were seen (all juv), along with a count of 63 Ruff in one group - which didn't include all the ones flying around and feeding on the other lagoon! A single juv Spotted Redshank was noted, with 4 Greenshank, 5 Green, 4 Common  and 1 Wood Sandpiper! A young Water Rail had me going when it disappeared into the reeds, but emerged in full view to allay any 'fears'!





Contact: E-mail: dnorgate21@googlemail.com Mobile: 07749779149

No comments:

Post a Comment