Thursday 22 April 2010

Patch Twitch!

Having spent a couple of hours in the 'freezing' temperature this morning, in the company of migrants that had already arrived mixed with the local residents - all quieter than normal due to the chill, I arrived at work to a text about a Sanderling on one of my 'patches' - a local mega!

Still driving the coast home, seeing Sandwich Tern from the road and a showy Grey Heron at Salthouse, I finally decided to make my way south in the vain hope the Sanderling was still present. I arrived and started to scan. No sign, but a Common Sandpiper was seen. Another scan. This time two Little Ringed Plovers (later seen copulating). Yet another scan, and another Common Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plover. Forlornly, I looked again and there it was, creeping slowly round the 'peninsular'! Got the scope, only to find it had disappeared again, but a snipe was seen (plus two Oystercater and Lapwing). However, it soon reappeared and showed consistently, proving to be moulting into summer plumage - smart bird and not something I expected to see in the valley. To cap it off a Green Sandpiper flew over calling - 7 species of wader, probably a record count of species in one site for me in the area!
PS Why can't I find any Ring Ouzels? They seem to be everywhere else! (Anyone seen any between Cley and Sheringham recently, like to share!?!) I don't really want to have to twitch one...but I will!!

Norfolk Bird Info to:
E-mail: ruralchill@live.co.uk
Mobile: 07749779149

Norfolk 376 UK400, 364 BOU, Year 184, Route 137, Sp 95, SM 100, SF 48

No comments:

Post a Comment