Wednesday 24 March 2010

A Solid Day's Birding

The day started with a couple of texts from JB, firstly that there was no sign of the Alpine Swift and then, a minute later, that it was showing well.

Hoping that it might cruise west (it didn't, it went east and round the coast, finally seen at Gt Yarmouth - the Hunstanton bird reappeared in the afternoon and continued to show well 'til late) I made my way up to Cley. A single Barn Owl was again S of Broom Green. Through to Walsey Hills, I decided to make this my first stop. In the 'scrub' I managed to find a number of 'my own' Firecrest. Two birds were seen together on two occasions, seemingly further birds both sang and called. So at least two and I reckon there could have been up to five! Always wonderful birds, especially to find (even if they are doing very well in Norfolk!) Also in the area was a male Blackcap, 3+ Chiffchaff and good numbers of Tits. There seemed to be little moving, except a few Linnet and Starling. 2 Cettis' continued to call and my first Bearded Tit in the area did too. The smaller Peregrine showed again and the Marsh harriers were particularly active.
After a long chat I moved onto Salthouse. The area was quiet on the first visit, a single Wheatear and 3 migrant Chiffchaff flitting in the fields. Meadow Pipits were particularly active, with lesser numbers of Skylark. I eventually caught up with the Great Northern Diver which has been wintering in the area, a fem Merganser flew past. Granborough Hill was 'dead'. However, after a break for lunch I returned to Salthouse car park. Whilst on the beach, 10 Meadow Pipit seemingly flew in off the sea. A moment later a fem Stonechat appeared on the shingle. I decided to move down for a better look, when a Wheatear appeared, quickly followed by up to 5 more. It looked like a small arrival had taken place.
Back at the Duck Pond, a smart fem Grey Wagtail appeared briefly, before flying off south over the village. The mewing of Mediterranean Gull drew my attention and i soon located two birds, one full summer bird (lacking its tail) and a 2nd (or 3rd??) year bird, with nearly a full 'head' - they were obviously a pair! They flew around hoping to collect some bread, then returned to the 200+ Black-headed Gulls that had amassed!
All in all an excellent days birding, with everything being my own birds and some pleasing finds amongst them! However, still a little jealous of others who found some more interesting birds! Oh well, small steps!
Norfolk Bird Info to:
E-mail: ruralchill@live.co.uk
Mobile: 07749779149

Norfolk 364 BOU, 376 UK400, Year 168, Route 121, Sp 81, SM 83, SF 36

No comments:

Post a Comment